- Osteoarthritis is the most common joint disorder and results from degenerative changes in the cartilage of the joint surfaces.
- The rate of change and symptoms of pain, swelling and loss of movement can be improved through physiotherapy treatment.
- Improved function can be gained while awaiting surgery.
- Range of motion, strength and stability testing, including a screen of the lower half of the body.
- Video/analysis of functional activities such as sit to stand, squat and walking patterns based on latest research findings.
Based on the assessment findings, an individualized treatment plan is formulated. Physiotherapy treatment may include:
- Patient education on joint protection strategies and the appropriateness of bracing and gait aids
- Cardiovascular exercise and aquafit exercise
- Strengthening of lower extremity and core musculature
- Acupuncture for pain control
Exercises are instructed and carefully observed for safe performance by experienced physiotherapists in one-to-one treatment sessions.